Gabions are robust wire baskets filled with aggregate or timber. They are relatively easy to install and make fantastic wildlife habitat.
John Little calls them a “unit of structural habitat”. Here are some habitats you can include:
They are also great for filling with recyled “waste” aggregate.
I used wirefence.co.uk. Materials for custom building your own gabions:
- Use minimum 4mm gauge, 3mm bends too easily.
- Face aggregate nicely, prevents bending. Infill with smaller aggregate.
- Put in supporting ties on expansive parts, minimises bowing.
- Incorporate wildlife features.
- Use diversity recycled materials artfully.